A Pop (Music) Quiz

quiz

1. Name three popular 80’s songs that mention eyewear in their titles.

2. Name three classic 70’s pop rock tunes that are about fictitious bands.

3. Name three 70’s top 5 hits whose titles begin with the words “The Night…”

4. Name at least:

Two bands who are named after major American cities

Two bands named after states

One band named after a border between two states

Two bands named after continents

_________________________________

Post your guesses in the comment section.

Answers will appear in comment section later this week.

10 Comments (+add yours?)

1. JimC
    May 04, 2015 @ 18:59:45

Where’s the fun in an on-line trivia quiz? Must be in NOT looking up the answers.
    1) Future’s so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    Dark Sunglasses. Can’t think of a third.
    2) Bennie and the Jets.
    3) The Night Chicago Died
    The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia
    The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
    4) Boston, Chicago
    Kansas, wasn’t there an Alabama too? I don’t think it was Rhode Island.
    Huh? Named after a border? Mason Dixson?
    Asia, Africa? Don’t remember that band, but there aren’t too many eligible guesses.

2. Ed Cyphers
    May 04, 2015 @ 19:22:36

Jim…you basically kicked the ass of my quiz.

1. The Future’s so Bright I Gotta Wear Shades-Timbuk 3
    Cheap Sunglasses-ZZ Top
    Sunglasses at Night-Corey Hart

2. Bennie and the Jets-Elton John
    Ziggy Stardust (and the Spiders from Mars)-David Bowie
    Sultans of Swing-Dire Straits

3. You nailed all three.

4. Correct again.

5. Kansas and Alabama are correct.
    The others are: Florida Georgia Line, Asia and Europe.

Nice work!

3. Anonymous
    May 08, 2015 @ 06:39:14

Boston, Chicago
    Kansas, Alabama
    Asia, Europe? Is that a band?

4. Anonymous
    May 08, 2015 @ 06:39:45

I suck at this! -Zack

5. Anonymous
    May 08, 2015 @ 06:48:05

Fictitious Bands: Ziggy Stardust, Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

Also, here’s an article about Ryan Adams covering a Bryan Adams song: http://www.stereogum.com/1799696/bryan-adams-comments-on-ryan-adams-summer-of-69-cover/news/
    -Zack

6. Ed Cyphers
    May 08, 2015 @ 07:42:24

Sgt. Pepper was a 60’s song…though it did chart as part of a Beatles medley in ’78 for some reason, so technically you are correct! Otherwise, nicely done. Europe is indeed a band–one that most know for one song, “Final Countdown”.

The Ryan/Bryan thing was amusing!

7. Anonymous
    May 08, 2015 @ 08:45:35

Oh! I know “Final Countdown” but I forgot the name of the band. Haha, I didn’t know that about Sgt. Pepper. I genuinely thought maybe it was released in the early 70s for some reason. I dunno, but for some reason I equate 60s Beatles with stuff like “I Wanna Hold Your Hand”. I need to check my Fab Four history!

8. Ed Cyphers
    May 08, 2015 @ 08:56:11

The Beatles broke up in ’70. Their last hit (“The Long and Winding Road”) charted in May of that year. Later Beatles songs hit the charts as a result of medleys, movies and the ‘Anthology’ revival, but they weren’t a band after early ’70.

9. Anonymous
    May 08, 2015 @ 09:06:35

Wow, what year did they form? They are probably arguably the best band ever in terms of sheer output/quality-longevity. That’s probably worth a post, if it isn’t one already output weighed against longevity. In those terms, U2 kind of sucks because they’ve been around forever, but only have a few solid albums. How long was Nirvana a band? How long was Lynyrd Skynyrd in its original configuration?

10. Ed Cyphers
    May 08, 2015 @ 09:49:24

Wow. Lotsa stuff there.
    When exactly the Beatles formed is a little muddy, since they had a different lineup early on (Pete Best on drums, Stuart Sutcliffe on bass…) but they were NAMED the Beatles in 1960 and had their first chart hit in 1962. (They didn’t crack the US charts until January of 1964 with “I Want to Hold Your Hand”. Considering they were only together a decade they certainly accomplished more than anyone did in a similar time frame.
    To put it in perspective, the Rolling Stones, who were the second most successful band post-1955 to the Beatles, are STILL together and have charted a total of 57 top 100 hits, 41 top 40 hits, 23 top tens and 8 number ones.
    The Beatles, who broke up after roughly a decade, had 72 top 100’s, 51 top 40’s, 34 top tens and 20 number 1’s.
    Their 20 number one hits, by the way, are more than anyone–even Elvis, who was recording twice as long.

Skynyrd were only around about five years before the plane crash. I believe they were on an upward artistic trajectory when it happened and were the best southern rock band of all time. Now they’re basically a tribute band.

I agree, U2 kind of sucks.